Wednesday, February 23, 2011

MAG SCANS/COVER: NICKI MINAJ COVERS BLACKBOOK MAG / XXL MAGAZINE FEATURES TH...

 
 

Sent to you by donellfactory via Google Reader:

 
 

via CONCRETELOOP.COM by Christine on 2/23/11

Rapper Nicki Minaj is featured on the cover of Blackbook Magazine's March 2011 issue. The 26 year-old channelled a bit of Foxy Cleopatra as she poses in a curly fro, making her usual signature facial expressions. In an interview with the pop urban digital publication, the Trinidad native talked about the hardships of her journey to success and shared her thoughts on being famous:

Nicki Minaj in Blackbook Magazine Nicki Minaj in Blackbook Magazine Nicki Minaj in Blackbook Magazine Nicki Minaj in Blackbook Magazine Nicki Minaj in Blackbook Magazine Nicki Minaj in Blackbook Magazine

On her life while trying to make it:
"That whole time was so horrible," she says. "It was like fucking torture. At the end of the day, after working at whatever job I hated, I would get all dressed up and go out with the hope of getting a record deal. At night, I was an artist, but during the day I was a slave. When I think back on that time, on the people who made my life a living hell, I want to say, Are you all seeing me now? This is me having the last laugh after all those years when you made it hard for me to get out of bed in the morning."…

On being a famous artist:
"I've always wanted fame," she says, idly stirring her cocktail with a plastic swizzle stick. "But when I achieved fame, I started realizing that it wasn't as important as being great at what you do, or being critically acclaimed. Still, I never wish I wasn't famous."

On her and Lady Gaga's common message:
"We both do the awkward, non-pretty thing. What we're saying—what I'm saying, anyway—is that it's okay to be weird. And maybe your weird is my normal. Who's to say? I think it's an attitude we both share." But embracing her inner carnival for fans who've felt pushed to the periphery has become a never-ending game of beating one's own proverbial high score. "I've already given my fans so much," she says, "but the expectation is to go higher and higher. And when I've done that, I'm expected to go a little bit higher." [Read more]

Can't front. Her makeup is always on point!

XXL Features 2011 Freshmen

(Left-Right) Lil Twist, CyHi Da Prynce, Big K.R.I.T., Meek Mill, Diggy Simmons, Kendrick Lamar, Yelawolf, Fred The Godson, Mac Miller, Lil B, and YG.

This year, XXL Magazine has featured a number of notable producers, artists and labels in their 4th annual XXL Freshman issue. The urban magazine unveiled and reviewed 11 hip-hop artists for us to watch out for in 2011. Among the noted rappers are Atlantic Records' Diggy Simmons, Interscope's Yelawolf and G.O.O.D. Music's CyHi Da Prynce. Congrats to all the artists!

( Photos: Blackbookmag.com/XXLmag.com )


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment